Why Do A Fall Detox ?
It is a common practice to detox at least four times per year, once with every change of season. Doing this cleanses our bodies and helps to remove any toxins that exist from stress, lifestyle choices, and even environmental factors. Our world is filled with chemicals in our water, in our air, our food and in nearly everything we touch. Our food is filled with coloring, preservative, pesticides, check out the labels and notice how many E260, E270, E331 etc…are there . We bathe with products laced with chemicals, then use chemical laden products to shave, to smell good, to moisture our skin, to treat our blemishes, brush our teeth, and more. By the time we come out of the bathroom, our skin absorbs far too many chemicals every day. We pick up parasites from our food and our surroundings that take up residence in our bodies. Our bodies store mercury, lead, and other heavy metals. Our body’s resources are drained which interfere with optimum health. The purpose of a detox is to cleanse the body of these foreign substances along with accumulated waste in order to optimize healthy bodily functions and healing. If our gut is not working well, we do not assimilate vitamins, minerals, fats, carbohydrates or proteins. The focus of a detox is to clean up the gut first, and follow with cleaning the organs, the blood and the lymph. That involves moving out debris while giving the body maximum nutrition that does not require the digestive system to do a lot of work. At the same time, we want to fill our gut with probiotics, and easy to digest foods. It is no secret that our taste changes and the foods we eat change with the turn of the seasons. We go from cold, fresh fruits and vegetables to more warm and hearty meals. Completing a Fall Detox can help prepare your body for these changes and withdraw any toxins or build ups created from the hot summer months. Some signals your body gives off letting you know it is time for a detox may include allergies, digestive problems, fatigue, acne or other skin issues, bad breath, bad circulation, headaches, bloating, and weight gain. By doing a simple cleanse or detox you should see immediate improvements and benefits including better sleep, more energy, improved digestion, clearer skin, weight loss, and even a reduce in cravings. A fall detox will also help prepare your immune system for the exposures to come, especially with kids going back to school. Typically the fall detox focuses more on the lungs and large intestine, which are important for circulation, heart health, and proper digestion. Here are some general tips to help with your Fall Detox:
- Try to eat primarily whole foods. We need to remove processed and refined foods from our diet and focus on clean eating.
- Check out some detox teas and broths to amp your detox.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Focus on increasing water intake to flush out your systems.
- Go toxin-free with your soaps and cosmetics. Toxins are absorbed into the skin just as easily as they are consumed through your mouth.
- Lower or reduce your stress levels through meditation, yoga, or some other form of exercise.
- take it easy during a detox and restrict your exercise to walking and rebounding.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol from your diet.
- A lymphatic massage will also be a great aid.